Neurogenesis is the process by which the brain generates new neurons and new connections
It happens that as we get old, the neurogenesis process in our brains decreases. This affects our life by making us more difficult to learn new things (and by hence, change our opinions or views of the world).
The reason why neurogenesis decreases with age has two sides: first, neurogenesis decreases due to several physiological issues (motivated by genes) with age. Second, not making use of the neurogenesis (by learning or doing new things) atrophies neurogenesis.
You can do little to avoid the first reason: you should have a healthy life. Doing sport and eating properly can minimise the effect of genes in neurogenesis. However, the effect on that is very small.
You can however, work on the atrophy of neurogenesis and have a high impact on it by performing new things. This could be as simple as going to work along a different path, or having a different drink at the bar, or changing your weekend
However, you can do the best impact in your neurogenesis by learning new things. If you don’t know what to learn, below, you will find a list of challenging tasks that you can learn and maintain your neurogenesis alive.
Look through the list, and choose something that suits you. And when you have mastered it, come back here and pick another thing.
Learning new things, from now on, should be a constant in your life!
Learn New Languages
- How to learn Japanese
- How to become fluent in three months
- How to learn Esperanto
- How to learn Sanskrit
Learn to play an instrument
Learn an artistic skill
Learn about computers
- Learn how to program a computer
- Learn how to create apps for mobiles
- How to create podcasts
- How to create a successful blog
Learn a new sport
Study a different career
- Learn any of the subjects at the open universities of Udacity
- Learn any of the subjects at the open universities of Coursera
- Learn any subject from the MIT Open University
- Learn any subject through iTunesUniversity
Learn a dancing style
Learn social skills
- How to do public speaking
- How to debate
- How to do networking
- Learn about Neuro Linguistic Programming
Learn to play a new table game
- Learn to play chess
- Learn to play Go
- Learn to play complex table games
- Learn to play Scrabble in a different language
Prepare for a mental competition
- Prepare for the Speed Memory World Championship
- Prepare for the World Memory Championship
- Prepare for a Calculus World Championship
- Prepare for a Speed Reading World Championship
In addition to the list above, you must realize that learning Insanity Mind will increase your neurogenesis. There are two reasons: one, it will teach you new things and challenge in all the main skills of the brain (memory techniques, mental calculus, speed reading…). Second, once you master the Insanity Mind method you will have a very powerful box of mental tools ready to be used to learn other things (like the ones in the list above).
Hence as a conclusion…
Increase you neurogenesis factor right now!
You can start with Insanity Mind!