The unconscious mind has a big power in your brain and in your chances to succeed in life. It is like the advisor in the hidden curtains that influences the conscious mind without being noticed. If you learn how to make it an ally, the subconscious will provide advices that will go in the direction you want to go.
Programming your subconscious means that, in some sense, you are going to train the subconscious to work for you, instead of working against you. It does not mean that you are not going to need to work hard. It just means that you will find less resistance when trying to do what you believe you must do.
How does it work
Inside your brain there are two types of minds:
- The conscious mind is the mind that you experience, the voice you hear in your head, the sense of you that you feel. Is the want that you use to think about things, take decisions or experience the world.
- The subconscious mind, is the mind that works behind the scene. It controls your heart bit, your organs and any part of your body that you do not control with your conscious mind. Additionally, your subconscious rules a lot of information that your have stored in your brain along the years, and uses it to influence the conscious mind.
When you consciously believe something and generate a thought about that thing, your subconscious will try to align itself with it. This means that your subconscious will do whatever it can to make a reality what you just thought.
For example, if you believe that you have a bad memory for names, your subconscious will work in your brain to make you bad at names. If you believe that you are not going to be able to pass the exam, your subconscious will work for not allowing you to pass.
It may seem to you that I am talking about mysticism or religion here. Nothing further than that. This process is well known in psychology and it is called limited beliefs. Limited beliefs are thoughts that we trust as true, and that hold us back, preventing us from doing things we would like to do.
The creation of limited beliefs are not instantaneous, but take time, and repetition. It means that in order to install this kind of belief in your subconscious, you have to repeat this though/message several times until you truly believe it. The good news are that, in the same way that limited beliefs are installed, positive beliefs can be done too, using the same principles: time and repetition.
And this is exactly what you are going to learn in the next sections.
The Concept Of Mantra
A mantra is a phrase or sentence that we create in order to program a positive belief in our subconscious. Of course, it will be a positive one, a belief that instead of holding us back, it will propel us in the right direction.
In order to create your mantra you have to do the following:
- It must include only positive things. Do not include in it the words of your worry, but the words of your solution. Do not say I don’t want to have a bad memory for names. Say instead I do have a good memory for names.
- It must indicate like it already happened. Instead of saying I want to have a good memory, say I do have a good memory.
- It has to be believable. If you say in your mantra that you can memorize all the names in a party in one second, nobody, included yourself, is going to believe that. Start small.
- Be as concrete as possible. Instead of saying a good memory, you may prefer to indicate how good. For example, I can remember 80% of what I read.
Some examples of correct mantras are:
- I have a million dollar business
- Learning French is so easy to me
- Waking up in the morning feels like a party
- I do enjoy going to the gym everyday
Once you have your mantra created for a particular purpose, you need to repeat it to yourself, in order to embed its message in your subconscious. When doing that, you must follow the next guidelines:
- THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP: you must feel what your mantra expresses while saying it. It is the emotion that you feel when saying the mantra what makes it stick. Then, do not repeat the mantra like a parrot, but feel like you already are like your mantra.
- Saying your mantra by voice has a higher effect. You can repeat the mantra in your mind without using your voice, but the effect is stronger if you hear it from yourself. Hence, whenever possible, express it by voice.
- Saying your mantra in front of the mirror has an even higher effect. Look at yourself while repeating it in front of the mirror.
Now you are going to create your own mantra and use it. Perform the following two workouts every day, for as long as you want. Practice workout 1 for a particular mantra, for a particular belief you want to generate. Once you start feeling the mantra like is happening, you can switch to a different one. Do not create too many mantras at the same time.
Workout 1 : creating good beliefs
- Decide which aspect of you or your life you want to work with the mantra.
- Generate the mantra following the instructions of the previous section
- Everyday, dedicate 1 minute to repeat in loud voice, in front of the mirror, your mantra. Remember to feel what you are saying.
- Along the day, repeat your mantra for 10 times in your mind, wherever you are.
Workout 2 : erasing limited beliefs
- Observe yourself along the day about which limited beliefs about yourself and your future you express, either by voice or by thought.
- Do not repress yourself about it, just observe yourself saying it or thinking it. Be conscious of it.
- As time passes you will observe that you become aware of those thoughts even before saying or thinking them, and then you will have the chance to say/think them or not.
- If you keep observing those thoughts they will become weaker and weaker and later they will disappear.
Reprogramming your subconscious is a good technique to change some limiting thoughts or bad behaviors. It is not magic and will not espontanously generate a better future for you. Besides you change your subconscious, you will have to work hard for a better future. A lot. But the difference is that with this training you will have your subconscious on your side, hence you will experience less resistance from yourself to do what needs to be done.
Want to know more?
We are going to talk a lot about this subject in future posts. However, if you can’t wait and want to read more about this subject, you can read any of the following books:
Share your mantras in the comments with us. I will correct them if required.